Everett, MA (1873)
Everett History, 1873 — "Everett is a new and flourishing town, occupying a commanding site in the easterly part of Middlesex County, 3 miles north-west of Boston by the Saugus branch of the Eastern Railroad. It was taken from Malden, named in honor of Edward Everett, incorporated March 9, 1870, and contains 544 dwelling-houses and 2,220 inhabitants.
It is bounded north by Maiden, east by Revere and Chelsea, south by Mystic River (which divides it from Charlestown), and west by the same river (which separates it from Somerville) and by Medford. The geological formation is upper conglomerate, drift, and the St. John's group. The land is mostly elevated,, and well adapted to the production of garden vegetables, fruits, and flowers. From the higher points, delightful views of Boston, of surrounding towns, of Boston Harbor, and the ocean, are obtained.
The town has had a rapid growth by reason of its proximity to Boston, with which it has hourly communication by steam and horse railroads, and because of the many eligible sites it has for building. Most of its citizens are engaged in trade or other business in the metropolis.
The air is salubrious. A supply of water is introduced from Mystic Lake. The spirit of the people is progressive, and the future of the place encouraging. The town has one post-office, a good high school and ten other schools, for the support of which it appropriated, in 1872, $8,000. It has also a good public journal called The Everett Free Press, a Masonic Lodge, and three churches, the pastors of which are the Revs. A. F. Bryant, C.T.; E. W. Virgin, Methodist; and W. H. Ryder, Universalist. The Baptist society, under the care of the Rev. W. B. Smith, worships in the Masonic Hall.
The place is in need of a town-hall, public library, and lyceum; ail of which will, in due time, be provided.
The Woodlawn Cemetery, beautifully decorated, lies in the northern section of the town. The valuation is $3,091,924; rate of taxation, $1.18 per $100; number of voters, 724."