John Andrew Statue
The marble statue stands in the northwest corner of Doric Hall at the entrance of the State House. It represents the great 'war governor' as he will always be remembered as the leader of the Commonwealth during those eventful days of the Civil War.
The statue represents his likeness when he stood upon the lower steps of the State House, as he received the marching salute of the regiments of Massachusetts, and sent them to the front ringing words of patriotism, or as he welcomed them home when returning on furlough or to recruit their decimated ranks; and when he received their tattered and battle-worn banners on the proud day when the victorious columns saluted him for the last time, the governor of their beloved State, and their honored commander-in-chief.
The statue is the work of Thomas Ball, a native of Charlestown, but long resident of Florence, Italy. It was presented to the state and unveiled on February 14th 1871. The statue cost $10,000, and was paid for out of the remaining balance of the fund subscribed for the Edward Everett statue in the Public Garden. It is regarded by many as an admirable likeness. A journalist of that day, George Woods, described the statue as 'an incorporation into the marble of the noble nature of the man, which is the highest achievement in art...It stands close to the tattered flags [now removed] of the thousands of Massachusetts boys, who, like him, gave their utmost effort for nationality and liberty, and many of whom, sealed their sacrifice with death.'
John Andrew was Governor of Massachusetts from 1861 to 1866. He died in 1867 at the age of 49.
Contact Information & Address:
Massachusetts State House
24 Beacon Street, Boston, MA, 02108